TERESA - Heya Everybody!
Well it seems like you are always taking holidays to St.George Utah! I hope you are enjoying yourselves! You know how Rach and I would love that weather, but to be honest, I'm not too sure if we could handle that now! After being here I've adapted and when it's warm here I roast like a mallow! Ha-ha But I'm sure that will wear off with time too :)
Ok, so last P-Day was really nice! Sister Green took us to Helensburgh and Loch Lomond! It was so nice to see more of Scotland and it's quaint little villages! It was also good for Sister Peterson to see Loch Lomond as well. The scenery was excellent and even though the weather wasn't all that great it was still WAY nice! Then we all went to Toby's Carvery (I hadn't been there since Edinburgh!) And that was delicious as it always is! Then we wrapped up the evening with a fabulous FHE. It was a packed house that night and we all had loads of fun!
So guess what? I forgot to tell you last week that we had our interviews with President...or wait, did I? I can't remember! But anyway, we did and it was great! It was really just what I needed - to sit down with President Griffiths and really talk about how I'm doing and how I can improve. He had me tell him what I've learned so far being out on my mission and it put a sick realization in me knowing that I don't have much more time left. It's funny because I still talk about going home like it's SO far away. But when I really stop and think I remember and it's not really nice. I just don't think it will hit me until I'm sitting there in the Mission Home waiting to leave! Or even when I'm on the plane! But really it is unreal, and I'm totally not exaggerating when I say that! I just hope I'm learning all I'm supposed to and won't regret a minute of it! But from now on, I'm not going to think about it! Rach and I decided that we are going to not even talk about it and just enjoy being a missionary! I think that's a good idea :) Oh but I forgot to tell you what I was originally talking to you about! Ha-ha, I talked with President and pleaded my case and now we are sharing a car with the Hamilton Elders!! YAY! Ok so here's the deal: My ENTIRE mission I have NEVER had a car EVER. And to be honest we travel far out to a lot of places that the time spent traveling is very ineffective because it’s on country roads! So I am bursting with joy having a car to get us from A to B. We do only have it for 3 days a week so that's not too bad and it's good to only have it for half the time so that we don't get too lazy! I'm not going to lie, it has been wonderful! And since my license expired in this country my companion gets to drive, so she's getting used to the left side of the road! It's been quite the adventure! He he!
We were only able to teach Joanne Wilson once this week (the girl with the flower in her hair). But it was a really good lesson. We've been having to meet in Starbucks (no worries, next time we see her we are moving it to the church). But this time we really hit a chord with her. We talked about the Atonement and how it can lift those heavy burdens off your shoulders. While we were sitting there I bore testimony of the reality of the Atonement and our Savior's and Heavenly Father's love for HER. While I was talking I noticed that Joanne started to cry. She said that would be such a nice feeling to have. We told her that she can and deserves to have it. She said that when she came to know more about our message and met with us more that she would be baptized. We were unable to set a date (not for lack of trying) but she wanted to just to work on it with us without any deadlines. I am so excited to see her this week! She is so wonderful and this is EXACTLY what she needs.
Since we are going through the lessons again with Brother Ian Smith we really have been focusing on the MOST important bits. We taught him on Wednesday and had a very good lesson on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was an object lesson and we had Ian stand on a piece of paper labeled earth and had him try to get to another paper across the room labeled Heaven. The catch was that he could NOT touch the floor! He tried but of course didn't make it! Ha-ha We then provided more pieces of paper as stepping-stones to get to one end of the room to the other. He could do it then and then we turned over each paper revealing the specific steps to the gospel of Jesus Christ (i.e. faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end) it was SO good! We all had loads of fun and really learned more about the doctrine in a fun and interesting way - thank you object lessons! We also taught him the Plan of Salvation with him again as well; really focusing on each part of the plan so that he would understand how each part is necessary. We put up pictures for each step that way it would create a lasting visual in his mind (after all, that's how we all learned it in Primary!). It was really really good too! He knows those lessons inside and out! We also taught him again the Word of Wisdom and went at it from a different angle as well. We really focused on the blessings of the commandment and really pointed out that ALL commandments are spiritual and that there are REAL spiritual blessings from keeping them, the two main ones we found were receiving personal revelation and having the companionship of the Holy Ghost. We told him that the adversary was going to get at him hard before his baptism and that he has to be ready, he has to be on guard. We talked about how he needs to put ALL of his armour on and that was keeping EVERY SINGLE commandment. Not keeping one would be like going into battle with out a sword or what helmet or whatever. Keeping all the commandments is wearing all of your armour.
This week we taught the Law of Tithing to a recent convert in the ward. It's actually something he's been struggling with. But let me tell you, I know I've said this before but I LOVE this lesson! Honestly, I absolutely adore the commandment of Tithing! I know that it's real and that it's one way you can really show that you love God more than the world. Someone also said it is definitely one commandment you can be completely perfect in! So true! And I was thinking about it, we know that the money goes toward the church and for the use of missionary work and temples and all that, so in a way it's easier to pay it because you know where it's going. And I was thinking, what if you paid your tithing and it seriously just sat in a corner and was never used, would you still pay your tithing? Would you care if it wasn't going anywhere or would you pay it anyway trusting in the Lord showing Him that you care less about money and more about Him and doing what He asks? I was just thinking about that, quite the question I thought. :)
On Sunday it was Fast Sunday and Brother Smith's first one at that! He fasted and said he wasn't as hungry as he thought he would be! Haha But it was such a good one because Brother Ian Smith's baptism was announced for this week on Thursday August 11! And a recent convert, Brother McCafferty received the Aaronic Priesthood! It was so adorable because when Brother McCafferty sat down after it was announced he was all smiles and Brother Ian Smith leaned over to him and attempted to whisper, "Well done Glen!”. You could hear quite a few chuckles from the rest of the ward, it was funny and nice. I got up and bore my testimony that day and that felt nice to do; we also fasted for names of our next ward mission leader. The Stake President wanted us to submit two names to him of people we think would be good for it. But we had absolutely NO idea! But we fasted and prayed about it and I received two names! Sister Peterson as well and they were the same! Yes, it really works!
But I am just so happy at the right now serving a mission! I love it here being a missionary where life is easier and simple. I am so grateful for my family members and my friends and my home ward's help and support to Rach and I in our service! Thank you so much to you all. You are ALL amazing people! I love you!
Love always, Sister Teresa Kullick
P.S. I got an invite to Steph's wedding! I know I already sent a card telling her congrats but I'm so happy for her! Thank you so much Steph for sending me one on my mission that was really special. I hope all is running smoothly! Love you! –Teres

Home!? You just left! Good for you for keeping your head in the game. And now I just reminded you of that, sorry!
ReplyDeleteWow! I bet a car would be a nifty thing in a large area. Glad you could talk him into it! Oh, happy day!
Good to hear that fasting and prayer still give people inspiration even in Scotland! Harvey Dean was just made ward mission leader here two weeks ago when he was released from the Singles Ward bishopric. He's not sure what he's doing yet, but I complete faith he'll figure it out.
Keep working hard! You make us all happy! Love you!
August 8, 2011 4:27 PM