Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Serious... I'm whitewashing to where??!!

RACHEL - Dear Family and friends!


I am higher than a kite right now! I feel on top of the world and I will tell you why. It is transfers today and I wasn't quite sure what was going to be happening to me but with whatever happened I knew that that is where the Lord wanted me to be. This last Saturday, we became a trio companionship... only till yesterday. It was an amazing experience. Sister Allison (my previous companion in Stafford), who was serving in Withington Manchester at the time came and joined Sister Bibb and I in Swinton. Her companion, Sister Lovell who had only been out for two transfers had to be sent home on an emergency flight due to severe illness. Can you keep her in your prayers? She is going to come back; it is just a matter of when. In the meantime it was a wonderful few days as a trio and our unity was spectacular, we had a great time! Then the most unexpected thing happened. I got a call from the President on Sunday. You only get a call from him on Sunday if either you are training or whitewashing into an area. I was very excited as I picked up the phone to speak with him and we exchanged pleasantries and then he said, "Sister Kullick, I am calling to let you know that you are now going to be white-washing into The Isle of Man." Needless to say my response was less than calm as I exclaimed into the phone, "President! Are you SERIOUS??!! Ha-ha it was indeed a shock of a lifetime but the best one I could have ever dreamed of! There have not been Sister Missionaries on the Isle of Man for about 4 years and it had been every Sister's dream (and Elder's) to serve on the Isle of Man! President Preston went on to tell me, "My Assistants told me that I have better give you a call because if they would have called you, you wouldn't have believed them!" I definitely agreed with that statement because I honestly wouldn't have believed them. I said goodbye to my Recent Convert Sister Helen Cunningham Paterson and she got very emotional but says she will write me and will see me soon. Oh I love her!

It is so beautiful here and we are living practically right on top of the beach! Ha-ha it is unreal; I have had to pinch myself a few times. The place is beautiful and there are palm trees everywhere and you can smell the ocean air as well. The Downtown right on the coast in Douglas is draped with lights and is so clean. We are living with a member in Castletown, but in her extension. Her name is Sister Radcliffe and she is wonderful and has been housing missionaries for quite a few years. I am serving with Sister Rothmund who is from Switzerland and is 24 years old but has only been out for 12 weeks. We are getting along so well and she studied English Literature at BYU Hawaii for quite a few years, so needless to say she loves the Isle of Man too :) We have a car here and so I obviously cannot drive so Sister Rothmund is a tad nervous but she is doing just great!

We left on the Tuesday (a day earlier from Transfers) and Sister Rothmund and I with the help of the Assistants, helped us arrive at the boat on Tuesday evening on the Liverpool docks. The boat left at 7pm and we got picked up, got home, and got settled (well almost) and got into bed past 12 in the morning. We were given permission to sleep in the next day till 8am so that was needed! It has only been 1/2 a day and yet I have fallen in love with this Isle and the people! One the Assistants, Elder Gallacher, encouraged us to Boat Contact on the way over to Douglas. As we were waiting to board the boat, we spoke to this mother and her 9-year-old daughter. What made me stop to speak to them was that the little girl had a field hockey stick and was playing around with it. Since I love field Hockey I went over to speak with them. They don't have any religious beliefs but were very open to learn more so we scheduled an appointment with them! We congratulated them for them being the very first people we knew on the Isle of Man and they are excited for our visit. Then while we were claiming our luggage we spoke to this young man from Slovakia living on the Isle for the racing (it is very big here apparently). He does not have a belief either but we exchanged details to set up an appointment with him. I really do know that all those that partook in these transfers were inspired for this great change. I can feel that wonderful things are going to come from this!

I am so happy right now and am very excited to get to know this Isle like the back of my hand. I am grateful for this opportunity and the Lord and President has showed great trust in us to be here. We are the only missionaries here, not even a Senior Missionary couple. We have no District (So I guess that makes me the closest thing to being a District Leader here on the Isle of Man! ha-ha just kidding!) We are in the Liverpool Zone, which I am very excited about since I have never been apart of that Zone before. We will have to catch the boat back and forth from the main land for Conferences and such but it is a pretty big boat (like a very mini cruise ship) so it is lovely!

I love you all with all of my heart and wish the best to each and every one of you! Thank you so much for all those who have helped Teresa and I be here on the Lord's errand. We love you!

Love always, Sister Rachel Kullick

P.S. Congratulations to Mike White on the wedding! Wow, I was surprised but very happy for him and his new wife! Thank you mom and dad for the camera!! Dad, I will keep you in my prayers and I hope your knees feel better, I love you! Take care!

3 comments:

  1. Well, both you and Teresa's email toady were just filled with excitement! I couldn't help but get a little excited myself for the both of you! The Isle of Man! Wow! Totally cool! What an amazing experience you two are having,cherish it, work hard, because you have worked hard to earn this blessing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AN island? WOW!!! That would be one awesome place to serve... so if I ever decide to go to the UK I am pretty sure I need to make sure you and Teresa come along. You could show me the coolest places it sounds like. Good luck whitewashing! Can't believe you are almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You are having an amazing experience and have clearly inspired the trust of your MP. Great job!

    =)

    ReplyDelete