TERESA - Hi ya!
Colton, if you’re reading this, please, for the common decency of man, do not grow facial hair! Yuck! But anyways, I hope all goes well though with the family and you guys are always in my thoughts in prayers.
Well life in the mission is going and going. Got to be honest, still not too much happening but this week was a builder’s week. We should definitely see some results with new investigators as of next week! Our District and Zone is very hopeful :)
Hmmm, let's see, some new and interesting experiences to share...
Well Thursday was quite the day - meetings all day long! We had a Zone Conference, which was super helpful. It’s really funny because whatever I seem to be struggling with the most in the work at that moment, is what our meetings are always on! This is no coincidence :) But it was working with members and how to get them more excited about the work and all that and to help them raise the bar and not lower it to adjust to their lack of effort. And funny enough we had a monthly ward council meeting that night with all the ward's auxiliaries. Now, the ward I'm serving in is great, they really are. There are amazing people in this ward. But as a whole, they are kind of slow on the member missionary up-take. And throughout the meeting they kept trying to minimize their efforts, not maximize. And all us missionaries were getting a little worried. And when they started to discuss the ward activities and how they should do less and then I couldn't hold it in anymore! I then raised my hand and said that I understood their concerns, but my fear with them lessening the amount of activities would eventually lead to less and less until there is next to none. And that would cause disintegration on missionary work because investigators feel way more comfortable at activities than church. And the question isn't how much less we should do but what we need to do to get the ward more excited about activities. And after I said it I felt sooo much better! And even members of the ward council agreed with me, whew! That could've ended badly...haha But it was ok and then the meeting sort of shifted on the 'do more' side. So that was good but we are still a major work in progress. So my question to everyone reading this is, are you raising the bar in your callings? Or are you lowering them to fit the "realistic" circumstances in your life? Just think about that for me!
So a fun experience: Sis Sheffield and I were walking along and we saw these two women weeding in their garden and we asked if we could help them and they said "Yeah actually." haha what?! That never happens mind you, everyone usually says no thanks. So we got down in our skirts and all and helped them weed! It was so great :) We talked with them about the gospel and prophets and had really good discussions. Although they said they were not interested we gave them a card with our number on it just in case, so they knew where to go. Who knows, maybe something will come out of that. But honestly, it was the neatest experience ever! I loved it.
I have learned so much being out here. I know that the Lord does prepare us and qualify us for the work we are called to fill! Everybody has a huge role to play and if one person isn't on board then the work suffers. We have to be on board! Here's a quote by
Elder M. Russell Ballard:
"This worldwide effort has been referred to as “raising the bar” or “raising the standard.” We thank you parents, bishops, and stake presidents for your support in this effort. We also thank the faithful youth of the Church for your willingness to live up to the Lord’s standard. May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you as you prepare to serve Him in this troubled world.
But as we raise the level of expectation for the performance of our missionaries, we must also raise the level of expectation for the performance of all of the members of the Church in fulfilling our missionary duties. We need your help, brothers and sisters, to support and assist our missionaries in finding and baptizing many more of our Heavenly Father’s children. We need you to watch over, protect, and inspire the missionaries, who are servants of the Lord. If the standard is to be raised, it is raised for all of us. We must be more faithful. We must be more spiritually in tune. We must prepare ourselves to assist the missionaries in finding those of our Heavenly Father’s children who will embrace the message of the Restoration."
Here's a quote by Virginia U. Jensen, 1st counselor in the RS General Presidency. I like this but instead of women think people, because this applies to ALL of us!
"Like those “noble and great” women who came before us, we cannot be ordinary women. We cannot be women who seem too much like women of the world. We must speak up for righteousness without apology. We, like Mary, Eve, Sarah, and Emma, are unique. We have ripples to make and water to share. Given our eternal heritage, we must remember how powerfully our simple, righteous actions can ripple through the hearts and homes of those around us. We have such a great opportunity to do so much good..."
I LOVED the "without apology" statement! We cannot lower our standards of excellence for anything. And we must be bold about it! There is soooo much we have to do and so little time.
I love you family and I want you to know that I appreciate your prayers for Rach and me! Thank you again! LOVE YOU!

Grew it for a couple of weeks under great pressure from the parents to shave. Got to BYU-I and of course shaved it off....thank goodness!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun thing to randomly help someone weed their yard! You never know what 'seed you planted' when talking to them. HUGS!
ReplyDeletemustache number 2 is coming in strong haha.
ReplyDelete