Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, March 7, 2011

"Prayer is made up of heart throbs..."

TERESA - Hello Family!
 
First of all, Happy Birthday Erika!! 25 huh? That's so neato! Hope you enjoyed it! I am also so glad to hear that Grandpa Coombs is doing better!! I knew he would, he's a tough cookie :). I fasted for him yesterday so I know that will help as well. Thank you for keeping me updated! Keep it up and let him know I love him!
 
And Congrats to Amelia!! Can you send me an invite or pictures from the wedding? I would love to see who she's picked out haha. Where is she going on her honeymoon, anywhere nice?? And I'm so glad to hear that our darling Lawen is still single! That way I can see her be sealed in the temple someday!! Oh wow, wouldn't that be nice huh? I'm so excited to see you all when I get back :)
 
OK then, this week was good. Two sets of sisters blitzed our area while they were staying here for two nights for fundamentals meetings at the mission home. So it was nice to spend some time with them, as well. And we got a few potentials from their efforts, which was nice. Unfortunately when we phoned them up, most of them were too busy or incorrect numbers. One guy was super inappropriate and then phoned stalked us after that! No fun! But we blocked the number so hopefully we won't get anymore prank calls...haha the joys of missionary work. No, it's really not that bad, I REALLY enjoy being here and serving! I don't even care if I get hassled for it- that just means more blessings!
 
So we visit a convert, Lynn, who's been a member for 4 years and she is lovely. She is single and has a daughter that has Angelman syndrome (I think that's it) (Angelman syndrome (AS) is a neuro-genetic disorder characterized by intellectual and developmental delay, sleep disturbance, seizures, jerky movements (especially hand-flapping), frequent laughter or smiling, and usually a happy demeanor.) Lorna, is 13 and she is totally beautiful! She can't speak but can say "yeah" and sign to you. I love her so much. Lynn says that if you treat her like she has special needs then she will act like it but if you don't she doesn't and it's so true! So we act totally normal to her and she responds well to that. I think a lot of the times people don't know how to act or be around people with special needs because they are afraid. They aren't used to it and then feel like they have to treat them differently or avoid them. But since the Edinburgh ward has actually quite a few people that are mentally handicapped I have gotten used to it and don't see them as anything different, it's not a big deal. Really though, I am convinced that they help us to be better, not the other way around. But I am really growing more out here and becoming more and more comfortable everyday with situations that could ever be construed as awkward. I love it!
 
So we are really focused on finding right now. We aren't teaching anyone as of right now but we also fasted and prayed for that yesterday as well. I really hope we find someone or even a family would be better! But the other day we were at an appointment with a member from New Zealand and she was talking to us about prayer. And I really loved it because it helped me to view prayer in a different way. She read something from Jesus The Christ (pg.238) by James E. Talmage, and this is it:
 
It is well to know that prayer is not compounded of words, words that may fail to express what one desires to say...words that may be spoke to impress mortal ears. The dumb may pray, and that too with the eloquence that prevails in heaven. Prayer is made up of heart throbs and the righteous yearnings of the soul, of supplication based on the realization of need, of contrition and pure desire. God without our prayers would still be God; but we without prayer cannot be admitted to the kingdom of God. So did Christ instruct: "your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him."
 
I LOVED that. I realized how my prayers need to improve by just reading this bit. I know that prayer isn't that we phone up our Heavenly Father and leave a voicemail, it's when we sit and have a conversation with Him. How often do I do that? If my prayers were always made up of heart throbs then I think I would be a rlot more in tune with the spirit all the time. I know that Heavenly Father already knows us and our individual needs.  He is so aware of us no matter the struggles we face and is always there for each and everyone of us individually. If we took the time to always pray with sincerity then we would always know that. He wants us to. So why don't we try harder? I loved that. So I thought I would share it with you.
 
Sister Peterson leaves in a week so next time I email I will have a new companion. Oh my goodness! It is crazy how fast time flies by. This moves will be over soon and I will have a new companion and I will be leading the area! Please pray for me! It's a BIG city! haha. But I have a question for you mom. I found out that the new sister coming in is an Eliza Woolley from Romona, CA in the San Diego Stake. When I saw the name Woolley I just about died! Is she related to us?? That would be soooo amazing to have a 3rd cousin or something in my mission!! I don't think Woolley is that common so it could be right?? I hope so! That would be the best ever! :)
 
Well I love you all with all of my heart and I can't wait to hear from you soon! Thank you so much again to everyone who's written Rachie and I! We are grateful for your love!
Love Always, Sister Teresa Kullick

p.s. I hope you got my photo CDs. That is how I'm going to have to send pictures from now on. Lame but I guess that'll have to do!

2 comments:

  1. I read the quote on Prayer three times, it is really quite eloquent. But that's Talmage for you! That's some thing I need to remember too, I'm not just leaving an voice mail, but I really need to communicate! Thanks again for helping learn and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phone pranking? Really? I would have never thought of something like that. Well I hope blocking the number helps.

    Wow you are over the mission now. That is awesome. I am sure you will do a great job leading the sisters!

    ReplyDelete